Spring time in Indiana is finally here, which means thunderstorms are lurking on the horizon.
As the rainy months approach, homeowners need to know what signs of damage from Winter to look for in order to protect themselves. Here are some homeowner tips to help them prepare for the seasonal change.
- Examine Roof Shingles: see if any were lost or damaged during winter
- Probe the Wood Trim: use a screwdriver to probe the wood trim around windows, doors, railings, and decks
- Check the Gutters: any loose, filled, or leaky gutters should be replaced because improper drainage can lead to water in the basement or crawl space
- Use Compacted Soil: low areas in the yard or next to the foundation should be filled because Spring rains can cause yard flooding, which can lead to foundation flooding and damage
- Examine the Chimney: check the exterior for signs of damage
- Check the Attic: look for obstructions over vents, damaged soffit panels, roof flashing leaks and wet spots on insulation
- Replace Rotted Siding or Trim: replace and repaint areas that have begun to rot or crumble
- Check Outside Faucets: turn the water on and place your thumb or finger over the opening… if you can stop the flow of water, it is likely the pipe inside the home is damaged and will need to be replaced
With an office in Albion and Kendallville, we are never far to answer any questions you may have. Contact us! We’re ready for you!